ASP.NET Core is a brand new cross-platform web framework built with .NET Core framework.It is not an update to existing ASP.NET framework. It is a complete rewrite of the ASP.NET framework. It was built from scratch in the effort to make a modular, scalable, super fast, configurable, cross-platform and easily extended web framework.
ASP.NET Core (on Linux!) itself can handle over 2 000 000 – 2 Million requests per second for plaintext request/response scenarios. ASP.NET Core MVC can handle over 1 million requests per second! Compared to Node.js, which can handle about 400 000 requests per second, this is an amazing effort.
The following characteristics best define ASP NET Core:
- Build web apps and services, IoT apps, and mobile backends.
- Use your favorite development tools on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Deploy to the cloud or on-premises.
- Run on .NET Core or .NET Framework.
ASP.NET Core provides the following benefits:
- A unified story for building web UI and web APIs.
- Architected for testability.
- Razor Pages makes coding page-focused scenarios easier and more productive.
- Ability to develop and run on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Open-source and community-focused.
- Integration of modern, client-side frameworks and development workflows.
- A cloud-ready, environment-based configuration system.
- Built-in dependency injection.
- A lightweight, high-performance, and modular HTTP request pipeline.
- Ability to host on IIS, Nginx, Apache, Docker, or self-host in your own process.
- Side-by-side app versioning when targeting .NET Core.
- Tooling that simplifies modern web development.
Summary: I this article we have learned about ASP Net Core and it's characteristics to define ASP NET Core. This question is very common in ASP NET CORE Interview. Read more interview questions of aspnetcore here.